Managing Soft Decline
- The merchant website initiates a transaction in euro by disabling the 3D Secure authentication via the vads_threeds_mpi field.
- The buyer enters their card data on the payment page.
- The payment gateway performs an authorization request.
- The card issuer refuses the transaction with the “Soft Decline” motive.
- A refused transaction is created. The merchant website is not notified about this transaction.
- The payment gateway automatically initiates a new payment, with 3D Secure authentication, whose sequence number (vads_sequence_number) is set to 2.
- The buyer is prompted to perform 3D Secure authentication, without having to re-enter their card data.
- After 3D Secure authentication, the gateway performs a new authorization request.
- At the end of the payment, the transaction is created and the merchant website is notified of the payment result.