Operation in case of additional payment attempts
If you have configured a number of additional attempts that is greater than 0 in your Merchant Back Office and you have enabled notification upon each attempt, the notification principle applies as follows:
Example with one additional payment attempt:
- The merchant website initiates a transaction in euro by disabling the 3D Secure authentication via the vads_threeds_mpi field.
- The buyer enters their card data on the payment page.
- The payment gateway performs an authorization request.
- The card issuer refuses the transaction with the “Soft Decline” motive.
- A refused transaction is created. The merchant website is not notified about this transaction.
- The payment gateway automatically initiates a new payment, with 3D Secure authentication, whose sequence number (vads_sequence_number) is set to 2.
- The buyer is prompted to perform 3D Secure authentication, without having to re-enter their card data.
- After 3D Secure authentication, the gateway performs a new authorization request.
- If the payment is refused, the transaction is created with a sequence number set to 2. The merchant website is notified about the payment rejection.
- The payment gateway invites the buyer to make a new payment attempt with 3DS.
The buyer enters their card data and proceeds to 3DS authentication.
- If the payment is refused, this time for insufficient balance for example, the merchant website is notified of the payment result. The sequence number (vads_sequence_number) present in the notification is set to 3. The payment is complete.